Monday, September 20, 2010

Dessa

Dessa is a former cutter-  someone who practiced intentional self harm and the direct injuring of body tissue without suicidal intent. I've photographed women who were cutters before, but never with the specific reason of wanting to document it. When I initially met with Dessa, we were both a bit apprehensive- she because her scars were always re-touched out, and I because I wanted to make sure that my images weren't like sideshow pics. I was also worried because I tend to be wary of someone who might not be in the best state of mental health. Turns out that all fears were unnecessary- we are now good friends and we have always both been very happy with images that we've made. Sometimes, I actually remove her scars if I think they take away from an image, but I don't do any re-touching if they seem to strengthen an image. She also happens to have one of the best tattoos that I've ever seen- the orchids that wrap around her side and over her left breast. I tend to have a intense dislike for tattoos over the breast (or face)- it seems like a taboo that is best avoided. But I think that it works exquisitely on Katelyn.
















No comments:

Post a Comment